These three blessings are why I get to celebrate this day. "Mommy" is such an amazing name to take ownership of, even with all the trials that come along with it. I find that with each day, I see more and more flaws about myself and feel less and less like I know what I am doing. The questions and arguments that Ella comes up with and the outbursts and energy that Peter brings, not to mention trying to nurse a baby while dealing with it all has tried me to my max by 8pm. I have come to realize that my temper is short and my words can be loud. But, to my defense, I always apologize and I keep asking God to show me better ways to deal with everything in the moment and not always in hind site. My kids are happy and healthy, for that I am so thankful. They love life, friends, and each other. They are learning about God and His love for them. Ella got her first Bible and it was such a special thing to give to her. Peter was recently told that disobeying makes God sad (and mommy and daddy), so after he disobeyed and said sorry, he said, "Sorry God, you sad." It about broke my heart, but he's right and he needs to keep learning that. We are trying to teach forgiveness too. All of these things will come in time, but there are days when I wish they could all just be 6 months again, fat and happy little babies, like their brother. Not that triplets would be easier, but boy, John sure is a great baby, and Ella and Peter were too at 6 months. This past year as a mom has been the most challenging with the pregnancy and birth of a third child in 3 years. I am sure over time, I will say that almost every year (about the challenging part, not the more children part), but it has also been a blessed year. All the time I am more and more thankful for my mom and my mother in law who have given Andrew and I life lessons and examples to parent by. I have also recently taken to reading blogs and stories of other Christian moms who are in the midst of parenting small children. They make me smile and let me know I'm not alone in my daily craziness. I only wish I could write as well as some of them, or post updates regularly, or make food and crafts all while juggling my day. My kids don't "play" for more than 5 minutes before I become referee and not mom. Blogging and knitting only happen after they are in bed, in the brief moments of nap time or bring a 30 minute episode of "Barney." Yes, TV is sometimes how I get things done. Don't even tell me I'm the only one who uses this method of bribery. I know that my time with little ones is short and I'm trying to soak it up. I already miss so many things about having tiny babies, but that's why I try and take a million pictures and write about it.

Ella says "impameal" for oatmeal.

Peter still wants me to hold him all the time and will fall asleep on us.

John's smile always makes Ella and Peter happy.

Ella laughs whenever someone else is laughing, even if she has no idea what they are laughing about.

Peter plays and plays and plays some more. He loves his mower.

John is starting to smile at the camera. He's very photogenic.

Ella loves playing out in the water. She would water the grass all day long if I'd let her. She watered the census man who came by the other day!

Peter is handsome and will be locked in his room and homeschooled until an appropriate marrying age.

John is rolling, but doesn't love to be on his tummy. Not quite sitting yet, but loves to find his toes.

Ella is a trickster. She loves to hide things and make me find them, or Peter find them.

Peter is yelling "cheese" in this picture. He loves his soccer ball shirt that he has on and I was asking him to show it to me for the picture.

John has blue eyes. I want them to stay blue. He's such a precious baby.

I love this picture of Ella. Finally letting me put her hair up and leaving it up.

This little man may make me more mad than I thought I could get, but he has such a sweet spirit and loves to make others happy with hugs and helping.

John likes to be held facing outward. He likes to know what he's dealing with.
“To a child’s ear, ‘mother’ is magic in any language.” Arlene Benedict
You don’t really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around – and why his parents will always wave back”. – William D. Tammeuse
“Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs… since the payment is pure love” – Mildred B. Vermont
Danielle, I love reading your blogs. It's such a comfort to know I'm not the only one who feels a little overwhelmed at times. You really do help remind me to laugh a little more on the rough days and just enjoy my kids even if the house is a disaster! Thank you! And Happy Mother's Day!*
ReplyDeleteDanielle, you have no idea how much I miss you and our friendship. We are so similar in mommyhood...from what I gather from your blogs. I am challenged by my own behavior every day when I am parenting. I am quick to get mad and quick to speak too loudly...and like you, I know I do it and always apologize and ask for forgiveness...sometimes I even take a time out just like Asher does...boy does he think that is great! I am constantly asking God to mold me and help me be patient and kind with soft, loving words. Some days I am successful and other days I fail...but I never give up on working on my junk and I praise God that Asher is so quick to forgive me and love on me. Being a mother is so humbling and so many raw emotions come with the territory. You are a tremendous mother and someday I hope our kids can meet each other. Happy belated mother's day!
ReplyDeleteKnow "Duty done in love is great delight" never thought of being a mom as a duty but it is .... continue in your pursuit of Jesus in all areas...love you mom....
ReplyDelete