Sunday, November 7, 2010

We are....Penn State!!

Yesterday, Andrew and I got the chance to go to a Penn State football game for free and we took it up right away. The tickets, given to us by one of his attending doctors, worth $55 each were in the season ticket holder section very close behind the opposing bench. Bear in mind that I am used to watching sporting events where I know the players, the fans are my age (at least the ones I sit by), and the venue is small enough that I don't have to be in shape to get to my seat. Yesterday however, I knew not a single player, our surrounding Alumni were over 55, and I am sore today from our hike to and from our car. It was like nothing I have ever seen before. The student section was HUGE and those are some crazy loyal kids (yes, I can call them kids now because some of them are 10 years younger than me). The marching band was great, hot chocolate and hot dogs were worth going back for, and the team came back from a 21-0 smashing after the first half to win. Oh yeah, not to mention it was the game where Joe Paterno acquired his 400th victory as their coach. They said there were 104,000 people in attendance! We got to see some opposing fans, who refused to sit down and after being told numerous times to do so, be escorted out by security as well as a large number of 60 something year olds screaming, yelling, high fiving, and shouting commands at the players like they could actually hear them. There is something really funny about older men showing so much enthusiasm for something that they have to take out their hearing aid to yell as loud as they want and not hurt their own ears. I had to laugh. I'm really glad we got to go. Our friend watched the kids and they also had a great day. I can't wait to do that drive again with the family to get some Penn State Creamery ice cream. Way worth the hour and a half- very beautiful drive through amish country.


No comments:

Post a Comment