Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Potato Corn Soup

Last week, no, the week before, I made a recipe that I was given back when we lived in California. My friend made this amazing pot of potato soup that reminded me of something my Grandma Karen used to make when we were little. Smelled the same, tasted the same, and I loved it. I changed a few of the ingredients and thought I would share something wonderful for these crazy cold days everyone seems to be having in the northern half of this continent. 

Ingredients: Celery
Onion
Butter
Corn
Potato
Chicken Broth
Half and Half

(prepare for an unconventional recipe: just the way I like them)
About 6 celery stalks and half an onion chopped up small.  3 tablespoons of butter added to
brown in the pan over medium heat.
My mother in law taught me this wonderful trick. When you cut onion and don't need all of it, chop it all up
anyway and put it in a jar (or bag) and freeze the rest. Then when you need chopped onion, it's already done!
I used 6 potatoes, you can use more or less depending on how starchy you like your soup.
When the celery and onion are soft and a little browned, add them to the pot of broth and potatoes.
I used to use water, but ended up adding lots of salt. Lately I've been substituting lots of things with broth
to add more flavor. I used about a box and a half of Organic Chicken Broth (less sodium than non-organic). 
Bring to a boil until the potatoes are almost soft and add the corn. I did 1 can and part of another. The other recipe said a whole bag of frozen corn. You choose. Then add 1 1/2 cups of  Half and Half.  Obviously add more if you like really creamy soup. 
We love cheese so we topped it with shredded cheddar. So good.

Andrew and I would both agree that this soup is even better the next day. The broth soaks up the potato and the flavor is stronger. 
Enjoy!

1 comment: