Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fastnacht Day!

Yesterday, being the day before lent, some friends invited us to their traditional Donut Day. I cannot believe we've lived here almost 4 years and this is the first time I've heard of this amazing occasion. Their family gets together every year and makes donuts of all kinds to enjoy. Many people did this in the past to rid their homes of yeast, lard, sugar, and butter the day before fasting for lent. You can check out the two articles I've posted to learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasnacht_(pastry)

The kids helped roll and cut the dough and I got to help shake the toppings on them once they were done in the frier. I'm not going to lie, this event, next to deep fried halibut, made me want a frier of my own. We had a really great time learning this (new to us) tradition and hopefully we can carry it on. There's never a wrong reason to want to dedicate a whole day to making donuts, right? 











Some were chocolate donuts, we filled the ones with sprinkles, and the others are made with mashed potatoes in them. That makes them healthy in my mind!

Here's a recipe I found for potato donuts. Also known as Spudnuts.


My friend also posted about the day in her blog, which you can check out at:

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment