We started a new tradition last year with Ella and John, where at some meal during the day of their birthday, they get a special candle and a song just for them. Ella and Peter got it for breakfast, John had his at dinner last time, but I think we're going to stick with cinnamon rolls with candles in them. As you can see, Peter is super excited about being 4 years old. I, on the other hand cannot figure out how this is all happening so fast, but I'm happy for him too. We asked my nephew if being 4 meant that you stop throwing fits and he just laughed. I'm guessing I might have a few more years of dealing with that, but oh well. It could be worse. Peter had a lot of fun the day of his birthday. He got to play pirates with everyone while I made his cake, play games and playdoh too. Grandma Barb was a huge help and I'm sure I would have been a frazzled mess by the time of the party if she hadn't been here. Andrew got off work just in time to pick up pizzas on the way home and everything went really well. The party was great and I even got into it. I put rolled up my ratty jeans, put on my burlap TOMS, wore my red striped shirt, put in my nose ring, and donned a headband with an eye patch. It was a great excuse to be silly. The kids each had a patch and a headband that I cut out of pirate fabric. We made pirate sticker cards and had pirate treat bags in our treasure box. There was an attempt to get all the kids in the picture, which is always a challenge, but hey, it worked better than all those skeptical dads thought :).
Thank you Bubba, for picking a fun idea for a party, even though, as we said with a sign on our door, the party was for fun pirates, we do not condone the actions of real pirates. :)
The cake was an idea I found on Parenting Magazine's website. It was much harder to frost than I thought, so if you make it for your own party, freeze the ship after it's cut for a few minutes before you frost it. The crumbly side of the cake won't rub off with the frosting. It was awesome once it was done though, I made my little 4 year old one happy boy. He's till talking about it.
My little Pirate and I.
Love you Bubski.
















Wow! What an amazing party! One of my favorite pictures is Barb with a pirate hat and eye patch! :)
ReplyDeleteImpressive, Little Miss! Way to be an outstanding mommy. :) You did a great job with the decor, the outfit, the cake, EVERYTHING! Happy Birthday to Peter... with love from Oregon.
ReplyDeleteJanie! It's always good to hear from you :). Katie, I wish more family could have been here. It sure was fun.
ReplyDeleteYou my dear are a master party planner! Great job!! :) I'm sure Bubba loved it. So I have two more weeks.. we must plan to do something before then. And I've been carrying around this little bag to give you for weeks! haha!
ReplyDelete