Saturday, August 18, 2012

Strawberry Picking

June 5
I happen to find strawberries one of the most fun berries to pick, now that I've finally done it. Growing up in Alaska, we didn't pick strawberries. We picked low-bush cranberries, raspberries, and blueberries.  Each of those are also great, but come at a price when picking in the woods of the wilderness where the bears also love berries and raspberry bushes have thorns which are usually surrounded by bees. I once picked some wonderful blackberries by my college in OR and made jam with my roommate. We fought off bees for an hour, but it was well-worth it. 
Picking berries in PA, well, not a problem. Pull up to the giant field, ask for a basket or bring your own, they direct you to a row, and have at it! Weigh and pay, it's amazing. The kids had a great time. I'm hoping strawberries are in season before we move next year because I'm all geared up to make more jam already :). 









I told my kids to take a good look at the berries across the counter because in the morning...
"Wham, Ka-Bam...Jam!"

“Are wild strawberries really wild? Will they scratch an adult, will they snap at a child? Should you pet them, or let them run free where they roam? Could they ever relax in a steam-heated home? Can they be trained to not growl at the guests? Will a litterbox work or would they make a mess? Can we make them a Cowberry, herding the cows, or maybe a Muleberry pulling the plows, or maybe a Huntberry chasing the grouse, or maybe a Watchberry guarding the house, and though they may curl up at your feet oh so sweetly can you ever feel that you trust them completely? Or should we make a pet out of something less scary, like the Domestic Prune or the Imported Cherry, Anyhow, you've been warned and I will not be blamed if your Wild Strawberries cannot be tamed.”


― Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment