Sunday, March 8, 2009





It has been a bit since my last post and the kids are no longer sick. Thank goodness. Much happier for everyone. It was an awful virus and I pity anyone who has to deal with it. We have been traveling this past week. We, as in I and the kids. I drove them 10 1/2 hours in 2 days to see Andrew's parents in Bourbonnais, IL. Our first stop was in a little place called Brookeville, where I ate in a little pastry shop with the kids. I had a nice visit with the owner and his wife, but when I left, I accidently spilled my son onto the sidewalk in very much a television type of way. I forgot that in the 3 times Ella told me she had to pee I had taken Peter out and not buckled him back in. I was carefully lowering the stroller when all of a sudden he was flat on his face on the sidewalk. I scooped him up and thought to myself "This stuff happens on TV, not in real life. Who on earth does that?" Of course. Me. Thankfully has was alright and his big 'ol tummy hit before his face. I felt awful nonetheless and I will forever check the buckle on my stroller. Thank you Peter for this painful and unfortunate reminder.
The arrival in Bourbonnais was highly appreciated for all of us. By the end of the drive Ella was in the back telling Peter, "Bubba, almost dere, Bubba, no fussing, almost dere." The next day we were able to see Chicago with a friend from my Australia trip in 1999 and his wife. It was great to have a tour from someone who lives there. Ella loved running around and Peter was just checking everything out. We took the bus up and down Michigan Ave and saw the city from the 96th floor of the John Hancock building. 
We visited my great Aunt Geanie and Uncle Bob, along with Andrew's Aunt Jan and Uncle Don in Chicago again the day after. It is always nice to see family. My Uncle Bob had not seen me since I was Ella's age, so that was fun. They told me great stories of my Grandpa Jon who passed away in 1999. Chicago is a neat place to visit. 
Peter has been cutting 6 teeth in the past few weeks. This had made for many interrupted nights with him waking up mad at life. We have been sharing a room during our trip and it has made me thankful that I don't always share a room with my kids. Ella always ends up horizontal in the bed and Peter snores. It makes me laugh, but it goes without saying that I am worn out.
The kids have enjoyed their time with Grandma and Grandpa. They made the drive back with us and are here for a visit this week. The weather is warming up and Andrew and his dad are working on the fence, making the yard bigger for Ella and Peter. There may be some other projects that get completed this week, we'll see :). 
Ella has a new favorite question that she asks all the time. " (Name), what are you do-ning?" She has to know at all times what everyone is "do-ning." Then, sometimes, she asks, "why?" And since there is not always an explanation, I am left speechless or I say, "Just because that is what we do." Peter's smile is getting more eventful by the week with all of these new teeth. The top ones aren't growing in in the order I would think they should. There is a gap between his front and side tooth that make his nickname of "Bubba" even more fitting. He looks like a little Beverly Hillbilly. It's silly and I hope his other front tooth catches up soon. He is eating more foods now making mealtime a bit more pleasant. Bread seems to be a new favorite. Today Ella wanted to feed Peter his little bites of bread, until he accidently bit her and she said, "Ow Bubba bite me!" Oops. Tonight in the bath she was playing with a squirt toy and I told her to face the wall or I would take it away. The first thing she did was point it right at Peter and that was the end. With a wet eye and a look on his face that could kill a mom, I snatched the squiter and put it away. This made her really sad and it's hard to keep with the threat of taking it away, but I did and told her she could have another chance tomorrow. 
Well, this brings me to the end of my day and I am tired so good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment