Andrew goes hunting up at the property of one of his attending doctors and thought it would be fun to go pick black raspberries. They are similar to regular ones in taste, but smaller and darker. He thought they would be out in full force since he'd seen so many bushes on his last trip out there. We loaded up Peter and Ella (John stayed with Gramma), grabbed containers and headed out. It was a pretty amusing time. We walked up the road to a wide grass covered path and started up the hill. Peter was the straggler, as always, doddling along while I got eaten by gnats. I asked Andrew if we were almost to the spot (I wasn't seeing any stinkin' berries). He replies, "I thought you were from Alaska! This is the woods and the bugs aren't that bad." OK. #1. Yes, I am from Alaska, but that DOES NOT mean that I love the woods or the bugs. I like berries, so what, I could get those at the store! And yes, the bugs were terrible. There was even a deer who about made me pee my pants when it went bounding through the brush like a small bear. (I HATE BEARS).#2. I thought a little walk would be fun, but with 2 toddlers, a hike up the side of a steep hill is a whole different story.
#3. There were no berries up there. The little one you see in the container was the sole one that made it back down that stupid hill.
So, we get back down to where we are parked and lo and behold, there are bushes all around the parking lot full of berries!! I helped pick, the kids helped eat, and we made it home with a few to spare the neighbor who Andrew had promised berries to. Next year, I pick the location we hunt for black raspberries. Fun memories.
























the berries did taste good!
ReplyDelete