Saturday, July 9, 2011

Room to Grow

Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.  
~Henry Beecher, Life Thoughts, 1858


Today this is my windowsill.
 I'm not going to lie, I actually enjoyed doing this dishes today only because of the cute flowers and colorful glass I got to look at while doing them. The big ornament that hangs in the window I got in Alaska last year. I keep it there all year  since it has pretty flowers on it.



When I was taking the picture for my sister's birthday, Peter asked to hold the vase and have a picture.
Who would say no to that? Not me.

These hair clips are selling at my friend's shop.
I wanted to keep them, but I think little girls other than Ella should have a chance to
wear such cute clips.
(Jenna and Katie, I hope to get some in the mail for Kenzie and Hayley very soon)

I made this frame to hold my earrings. There are tiny holes in the fabric where they will go.
Of course I had to embellish it with pins and old buttons. I got the frame free from a garage sale. Even better.

Yes,  I really like flowers.
Since I have had my little garden this year (pictures of that to come), I have been pretty excited about growing flowers. The Zinnia I am able to cut and enjoy inside, were planted in pots from seeds. Ella helped me plant those. We weren't sure they would survive after we got home from Alaska since some things really dried up. We watered and watched them and they started to green up again. The other thing was, that Ella was a little distracted and maybe a little excited while planting and put quite a few seeds in each pot. Later I read that they should have been planted inches apart. Oops. So basically they were choking each other and some of them needed to be removed in order for the others to thrive and make flowers. I know I have heard this lesson before, about how when we fill our lives too full of stuff, we can't enjoy or thrive in anything. Everything turns out half-effort and not as fulfilling as if we could just cut a few things out and enjoy the rest. It was weird for me to pull out what seemed to be perfectly good plants, but it wasn't until after I took away some and gave the others breathing and "rooting" room, did they finally produce buds and flower. They are colorful, happy, exciting little flowers now.
 We will do better next year while planting seeds ~ Give them room to grow ~ Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment