Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Time on our hands...

That phrase only comes every once in a while for us right now. Andrew and I have not had too many evenings out, or days spent wandering around together in a very long time. Since we live across the country from anyone closely related to us and nearly all of our friends also have children or husbands who work crazy hours as well, this is precious, and usually well documented. Thus, I bring you our two outings without offspring while we were in Plymouth.

The first of which, we just wandered around on the oldest established street known to America: Leyden Street. We looked at the shops, found a couple of treasures at the antique stores, ate some really great chocolate, and toured through the cemetery on Burial Hill. (Interesting way to spend together time, huh?) That's what happens when you marry a History Major. I love old stuff. What can be much older than this around here?


Looking at the first church from a little bit away. (The gray one)
Going through the grave sites I could not help but notice the dates and how young some of the people were when they died. They only saw so little of what they accomplished. One of the most heartbreaking ones said, "Wife, and mother, died at age 16." Can you even imagine? 
Major William Bradford (June 16, 1624 – February 20, 1703) was the son of Governor William Bradford and his second wife, Alice Carpenter Southworth. Born four years after the Pilgrims arrival in1620, William was his father's second child, but the first born in the new world, as his older half-brother John Bradford had been left behind in Leiden, Netherlands. He later served as the deputy governor of Plymouth Colony under Governor Josiah Winslow. He was the commander of the military forces of Plymouth Colony during the King Philip's War[1], during which his eye was wounded in the notable Great Swamp Fight.
Maj. Bradford was married three time (1st: Alice Richards; 2nd: Sarah Griswold; 3rd: Mary Atwood-Holmes) and had at least fourteen children from the three marriages. He is buried in the Burial Hill Cemetery in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
 courtesy of Wikipedia

Just some of the beautiful homes on the street.
Down at the docks. 
Maine Blueberry and Black Raspberry with chocolate chips. Both excellent choices for ice cream that I enjoyed all by myself. When I say "All by myself," I mean that I didn't have anyone asking me for a bite every 10 seconds. Well, Andrew asked once I guess :).
Pirate Boat! We took this picture for Peter. 

Andrew really wanted fresh lobster. It doesn't get much more fresh than this!
Woods Seafood. That thing was screamin' in the pot just minutes before.

That same night, the kids had pizza with Grandpa and Grandma while we got to go out to eat.
We chose Thai food, since the kids aren't so fond yet and we ate Thai on our first date. Plymouth has some great choices and we ate some super food. It's funny when you get a chance to eat your meal hot and you don't have to chop up anyone's meat or say, "Eat your dinner," 100 times,  how fast dinner actually is. We had a fun day, thank you Ben and Barb!

No comments:

Post a Comment