Saturday, November 12, 2011

Apple Butter Boil

The boiling pots.

Back in October, we went to an Apple Butter Boil fundraiser at a friend's mom's country church. We took all the cousins and ventured out to see what it was all about. They boil the apples in huge pots over the fire and jar the apple butter once it's all done. I know there's more to it than that, but I'm not sure each little step.  We got a couple jars of that as well as a jar of their chicken corn soup. It's amazing. We had lunch there and played out on the swing set. The kids had a nice time and we got some fun pictures too. 
Levi
Emerson
John
Peter
Ella
MacKenzie
My boys,  this picture is going in their room.
Checking out the horse and goat.
One of my top fave pictures of John and I.

I put this one in too because I think it's funny how
Peter and John are doing the same thing with their mouths,
Jenna, Me, and Renee. 
Sister and Niece.
Anna, Abbey, and Ben. It's Abbey's Mother in Law who goes to this church.
Buddies. 
The church with it's beautiful stained glass windows.

I love that in this area there is always something like this going on. The little churches, schools, museums, barns, and markets are constantly hosting some kind of gathering. I am hardly ever without an event I could take the kids to. 

The recipe for the lunch Andrew had and loved was sent to me by Abbey today just in time for this post. It was very good and you could probably use deer meat as well if you like that kind of thing :)

Hamburg Barbecue
2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cups ketchup

Brown the ground beef and onion together.  Drain fat.  Add remaining ingredients and let simmer 20 minutes or so.  Serve on hamburger buns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment