In the world of being a first time school mom, I have officially made yet another mistake. (There are more to come, I'm sure). The previous incident that left me feeling quite lame was when Ella's school sent home a flier for their "Fall Party." "Parents are welcome." That's what it said. We had family in town, but I should have paid closer attention. She was dressed in her costume from halloween and we brought what we signed up for, juice. Easy. Except I ended up getting it at the corner gas station because I totally spaced it before that morning and a half full orange juice would have been bad. So I get there and realize that pretty much every "welcome" parent was staying. I hadn't showered, my kids were still in their pj's at home with their cousins, and I had no plans of being there for the morning. The kids all looked so cute, the food was all spread out, Ella looked at me and said, "It's okay mom, you can stay next time." I wanted to cry all 4 minutes I drove home. I told my sister that I messed up and next time I would be there with bells on. Really, maybe bells. It's the Christmas party. It's December 21st and I WILL BE THERE.
THIS time, it was Pilgrim and Indian dress up day before Thanksgiving. The night before we had been tossing ideas around about what Ella could wear. I had not even thought ahead for this because again, it was "suggested." So I remembered she had a costume someone had given us that sorta could be used and I offered her to wear a skirt of mine and a scarf for a pilgrim. She was uneasy about both ideas, but after Peter came in and asked, "Ella, did you decided pigrim or idiot?" a good round of laughter followed and she corrected him saying, "It's PILGRIM and INDIAN and I will do Indian." To explain, the costume I had in mind was an inside out hippie costume since part of it was brown. Sure, that could pass. I gave her some of my necklaces with beads and stones and tied a piece of yarn on her head instead of leather and braided her hair. She looked adorable, only she really did look more like a hippie than an Indian. That's alright, better than the brown paper sack we made when I was in school. Right? Wrong. When I pulled up to take her inside, there were little girls dressed like Pocahontas, boys dressed like they'd just jumped off the Mayflower, and I felt so stupid and bad for Ella. She had no idea. I told her she looked awesome and took her hippy self with her little brown boots in the door. Moms had made real costumes out of brown t-shirts and feathers, as well as white and black pilgrim hats and shawls. This whole "suggesting" thing is silly. Just say, "Dress your kid up like Thanksgiving Halloween."
"Come to the party or you will feel bad."
"Shower before you bring your child inside" (I added that one). ;)
Now I know.
Peter is going to be one decked out Indian Chief next year.
Ella will not attend another party unaccompanied. I asked Ella if she had a fun day in her costume, "Yes, my teacher said I looked cute." Thank goodness for good teachers. I also thought she looked great.
Just would have been better if it was 1960's day and not 1620's day.
![]() |
| My hippie Indian. |
I told her that Indians say hello by holding up their hands and saying, "How." What she should have done was hold up her two fingers and said, "Peace."
Dear Ella, you don't know this, and never will until you read it, but I'm sorry. It will not happen again.
I love you.

I don't think we could have pulled off such a cute impromptu costume!!! Super clever!
ReplyDeleteI have had quite a few moments like that with my oldest, too. It's obviously harder on us as the moms, but you're so right. Why don't they just make an enormous deal about it if it's really not going to appear optional? Gee!
well said.
ReplyDelete