Monday, May 14, 2012

One Special Weekend



This weekend we had a really nice time as a family. It was much needed after a couple of really hectic weeks around here with Andrew being gone, on call, and just busy at work. I feel like April and May have been wildly busy and I know this is just going to be the way it is with kids in school, but being the first time around, it has seemed crazy. Friday night didn't really go at all as we had thought, but it ended up alright. We were cleaning out the garage and basement for the town dumpster day and Andrew ended up getting cut and needing to go get stitched up. The kids and I hung out at the hospital until he was done. A friend was getting ready for a car trip and ended up with a dead battery before leaving. Andrew went over and helped jump the car so they could leave. It was a good lesson for the kids because we were able to tell them that if it is in our ability to help others, we do it even if we are hungry. By the time we went to dinner, it was late, but we thought we could make it work. Well, it didn't. 2 spilled cups of water, and one child falling out of their chair onto the floor later, we got the check and went home. Food was really good though. Saturday morning Andrew got all the junk out of our house (mostly left here by previous owners) and we now have more space in both the garage and basement. All the cleaning out made us hungry, so we roasted hot dogs and made s'mores since it was almost 80 degrees and sunny. That night we went on a bike ride around town, the first one we've done with all 5 of us. We all had a good time. I cleaned a lot of that day and tried getting the kitchen back together after not having much time to do any of that last week. We were all rewarded with ice cream out that night. Sunday, I had to be at church early for singing, and Andrew got all the kids out the door by 8am! They were rewarded with Dunkin Donuts for doing a good job with him. We bought plants at the store and while he napped with the kids, I planted them and finished cleaning. I'm sure it seems silly that part of what I would want to do for Mother's Day is get the house back in order, but it really was needed for all of our sakes. We had friends over for mexican food and ended the night listening to the kids laugh and play themselves to sleep. I did have to go up and stifle the screaming at one point, but the laughing was there until they were out. 
This Mother's Day I have so much to be thankful for. Healthy, wonderful kids, loving husband, great Mom and Mother in Law, the ability to spend time as a family, good food, time to get things done, flowers, and so much more. I am blessed. 





These are the gifts my kids literally made "by hand." They each have such wonderful teachers, at church and in school. I am so glad for the work they did to make these. 
John was so proud of his plant that he couldn't wait to give it to me after his class. Peter almost didn't make his pot holder because he wanted to be with Ella in her class that we were teaching in. His teacher told him he was going to do something secret and special for me and he went over to participate. Ella made my bonnet that I wore at her Mother's Day tea. It is hanging in the kitchen until further notice. I love that my kids like to be creative. One day we were making something and Ella said, "Mom, I'm...fre....cree...make...what's that word?" "Creative." "Oh yeah!" She smiled. "Creative."




Andrew's gift to me...we are going as a family to NYC this coming weekend!! I am beyond excited. 4 years living less than 3 hours away and all our kids are finally old enough to feel okay taking 3 of them there. More on that for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment