Recently, on Netflix, which my kids call "Flit-nix" I found a show called "Fireman Sam." There are only 4 episodes of it available, but Peter has become obsessed with it. Fitting, since last weekend was the Fire Truck Parade here in Danville. There were trucks and firemen from 4 counties (maybe more) and even some from Jersey. It was hot and muggy, but Peter insisted on wearing his raincoat that says FIRE CHIEF on it. The drivers of the trucks pointed down and him and yelled, "Hey buddy! I like your coat!" The only problem with that was Peter was less than enthusiastic about their praise since none of them were throwing candy. Apparently we missed the memo that the firemen were not allowed to throw candy this year since kids were getting too close to the wheels last year and it became dangerous. Sure. That makes a lot of sense. Safety first! It cost us about $2 since we ended up going to the corner market do buy our disappointed little fire boy some skittles. A small price to pay for his smile the rest of the parade.
He referred to himself as "fire boy" the rest of the day and didn't take off that coat until he realized how badly he was sweating under his hat (given to him by our neighbor). I love how whatever he is wearing is who he is for that day. That gives me an idea...maybe I will make him a halo! He can be "angel boy" and we will all be happy! HA!
 |
| Thumbs up for the fire truck parade! |
 |
| Think they are related? |
 |
| Sydney (neighbor's daughter), John and Ella watching the trucks. |
 |
| We really enjoy seeing all the old trucks. They have kept lots of them really nice. |
 |
| Always need a family picture even if we look like misfits today :) |
I think the parades are one of the best things about this little town. I mean people set out their lawn chairs along the road by 9am the morning of to save their spot for viewing. It brings out all kids of people and it never fails, when I hear the bagpipes and see the volunteers and the men dressed in Civil War costume (that will be later this month), I choke up and nearly cry. I picture myself as a mom watching her son march of to war, not sure why, I'm too sentimental. So thankful for all those who serve this country. Glad we can honor them with parades: It's such a great tradition.
And the kids love it. Bonus.
No comments:
Post a Comment