Despite the fact that most of this area has been able to resume normal daily life, there are many who are still in the middle of recovering from the flood 2 weeks ago. We took a drive through Bloomsburg, about 8 miles from us, a town hit so hard by the flood, they will not be able to have the state fair that was going to start this weekend. I had the most intense feeling of guilt as we drove by the destroyed homes and saw people's belongings strewn about on the sidewalk. I thought, I am so glad that did not happen to us and at the same time my stomach was in knots knowing that it happened to them. Those were the homes we drove by on a weekly basis and every time I would think, "I love those old houses, they are so cute." At Christmas they always had them decorated so nicely. To see them in shambles, surrounded by cement, bricks, broken wood, glass, and mud was something I could not have even imagined. A family from our church owns one of them and there have been people helping clean it out. Andrew wishes he wasn't so busy so he could help out more. We just gave away bags of things to a family who lost their home with a 2 year old daughter and baby twin boys. Ella and Peter were so understanding and trust me, there's more I could pull out if it was needed. At times when people are hurting and needy, we are so willing to run and help, to give our things away, give up our time and money. I just wish that I could have that on my heart and mind at ALL TIMES. Keeping my eyes out for someone struggling, my ears out for someone who needs encouragement, and my hands willing to serve even when there isn't a natural disaster. It may sound cliche', but this encounter with water has really changed a lot of people, myself being one of them. I hope it doesn't wear off over time, but it makes me think about all the things that matter, how much God has provided for my family, and how I need to care less about things of this earth.
 |
| These are the fences to the fair grounds. Caked in debris as a reminder of how high the water was. The road in front of the entrance, was literally folded over on top of the grass. They're still working to repair the second lane. |
 |
| The white home knocked off it's foundation and turned sideways from the water. The chimney on the blue house crumbled off the side. |
 |
| Along the road on both sides, the fronts of the homes look like this. Some are for sale, others are just left to be. |
 |
| Another home knocked off itself. Pardon the car, this was taken from the van window. |
 |
| If you have ever had anything flood or kept something wet for too long, you understand the smell that lingers. This whole road smells of "wet." I can't really describe it to it's fullest extent, we just tried to take pictures as we drove. This is only one street, most of the town was under water, we just haven't made it out that far yet. |
No comments:
Post a Comment