Just wanted to update with a bit of information.
We are headed to a friend's house for the night because there is a slight possibility that our house could get affected by water. Our prayer is that it does not even come hear our street, but there's a chance. So, we've moved things up from the basement, Christmas decorations, hunting gear (of course), car seats, crafts, pictures, things that we can't replace or run through the washer. However, our water heater, furnace, freezer (full of fish), and other items will go unprotected for the next few days. This picture you see above now has water about 10 feet higher than it was here. Andrew took a bike ride around and saw that one of the houses we almost bought is surrounded by water and will have a house full by tomorrow.
I sat on my couch today and thought about all the things we would lose if our basement and bottom floor flooded. I looked into my 2 year old kitchen and thought about how it would look covered in brown muck. I remembered the verse that talks about not storing our treasures here on earth, but in heaven. It means more to me now than ever before, that's for sure. I can only imagine what it's been like for those affected last week by the hurricane whose houses were really damaged and they lost everything. At least there is no wind, the rain has died down for now, and our biggest threat is the levy leaking or breaking. We are far enough from the river at this point to only have first floor damage. I'm praying this isn't even an issue.
I have never been in a real disaster, and I thank God for that. I have been in earthquakes, around volcano eruptions, and close to fires in California, but preparing for a flood is beyond me. I spent today cleaning just so when we brought things up from downstairs it wouldn't add to the ongoing mess that my children create on a daily basis :). I scrubbed the bathroom just because it was dirty and dirty bathrooms make me want to gag. The kids are in the process of packing up their sleeping bags and I will get our things packed up along with some food to take over to our friend's house when I'm done typing.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers that have been expressed. Please pray for my friends that have been greatly affected already who live closer to the river. We will take another drive around this evening to check out the current state of our once peaceful little town. Andrew said there were field mice running through downtown trying to find higher ground. The wood chips that help our playground are floating like they're in soup. We are thankful for good friends who will house us and others who have offered. At this point all we can do it pray our house stays dry and just know that we will be safe up on the hill.
How crazy! I am praying that your house is unaffected. Maybe this will be an unexpectedly fun time of adventure for your family?
ReplyDeleteYes it was. The kids had fun that night at our friends' house and we enjoyed our visit. It is nice to have a dry home and to see the river going back down.
ReplyDelete